Skip to main content

On a personal note......

Hey everyone! This post is a bit personal and I feel that I need to be more open with myself and others. In two weeks, I'm turning the big 30!! Gasp!!! It scares me a lot because I'm getting older and realized that I'm not where I thought I would be in my 20's. I had a strong feeling about what goals I wanted to accomplish, where I would be living, when I was getting married but there is a thing called life that happens. You never know where it will take you and you honestly have no control. I thought by now I would be in my dream career, living on my own, married, children, financially stable and just happy. My life now is not what I thought it was going to be years ago. I knew when I was little that I was really creative and different. I thought I wanted to be a hair stylist and I said that for the longest time. I was always cutting and styling my dolls hair and then someone put the idea of owning a salon, being my own boss. I took that and ran for years thinking of ideas to call my salon, what would be different about it but my other passion kept tugging at me....dance. I've been dancing since I was about 4 or 5 years old and my parents really invested in my dance career. I took many dance classes, did all these recitals and just was excelling at it.I knew then I wanted to just dance, own a studio and teach it. When I was in the 8th grade, the high school cheerleaders came to our school and I tried out for the freshman team and made it. I also played the clarinet and was excited to be in the marching band in high school. But there was a huge conflict, I was going to move up to the advanced classes at my dance school and marching band practice fell on the nights of the classes. I had to make a really hard decision and it hurt to walk away from my dance career. But I enjoyed being in a very popular and well know marching band and being a cheerleader. We did lots of band competitions and won majority of them. It was great but I missed dancing so much. After graduating high school, I did college cheering it was amazing. Our school was actually on ESPN and people saw me. I was so mad we lost that game cause I was look forward to traveling and being part of the NCAA tournament. Then I graduated college with a business degree and there was the real world looking me in the face. I had to get a job, my own car, pay car insurance, my own phone plan and so on. And I really kick myself for never doing an internship while I was at school because I feel I would be better off now career wise. I've had jobs that didn't work out over the years and I never knew what I really wanted. I just know that I want to work in a business environment and work my way up to upper management. Its scary to know I'm about to be 30 and don't know where I want to be career wise. Dance was still in my head, I would envision dances that I would love to see on stage in my head when I heard certain songs. I started going to these dance classes at the local community college and later then teacher purchased a dance studio. I thought this was my chance to really getting back into it. I even tried out for a NFL Dance team but only made it through two rounds. I was training to dance on pointe when I discovered I was pregnant with my son. He is such an amazing blessing to my life, I couldn't imagine my life without him. I started to think that maybe dance wasn't destined for me and I pushed that dream away. It just hurt so much but I was thinking as realistic as I could being a mom now. I'm like hard on myself because I feel like I failed myself in a way. I set these goals and haven't accomplished any of them. Maybe they were not meant to be. Maybe there are other things I'm supposed to be doing that the failures are putting me in a position for them. I'm not sure about a lot of things but I am grateful for having a roof over my head even if its not my own, food to eat, clothes on my back, I can provide for my son, I have a job and I'm still living. I know things will get better one step at a time and I know I will be okay. Maybe 30 doesn't sound so bad afteall..................

Comments

  1. Nice reflective piece, Andrea! Don't worry, we all go through these stages! Some of us map out our life while in our 20s only to see that life has taken us down a totally different path! I think it is always good to look back on life, reflect and use that to figure out where to go next. Or, you can always refer back to this writing 6 months from now and look how much you've grown! Think of it as a “checks and balances!” Keep blogging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you so much Tiana, I really appreciate your encouragement and for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. Never give up on your dreams. Always in God's timing. Keep pursuing your goals. You're going to look back at this post see how far you've come - Rhondine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so Rhondine for your encouraging words, I appreciate it!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sometimes its hard.....

You know when you keep thinking of something and you just feel like you have to get it out? That was me before sitting down to write this post. I had something else planned to write but I kept thinking...sometimes its hard and it just evolved from there. We all heard the sayings, life isn't fair, life is hard and so on. Sometimes life can be hard but we don't experience it for long. There are so many things that I want to do but I know I can't do a million things at once. I can't just pick and go anymore, I'm someone's parent now. There are times I want to but I know things have to be planned out now. I will get to those place I want to go, just have to be patient and plan it out. It seems like we focus so much on what is hard about life that we forget about the easy stuff. We forget sometimes about all the good things that happen and to be grateful for getting through those rough patches. You may not like your living situation but you have a roof over

Make Beauty Review*

Happy Friday beauty lovers! I hope you have been enjoying Winter again lol! I hope Mother Nature gets it together soon lol. Today I am bringing you another review powered by BrandBacker! *I was sent these products for testing purposes and this is my opinion after using. Let's get into the reviews! *Powered By BrandBacker* I was pretty excited when I was picked for this campaign. I have tried a Make Beauty eyeshadow before and loved it. Honestly, I was expecting the samples to be a little bigger. I was a little disappointed in the lipstick sample, it was hard to use. It kept breaking when I was trying to apply it. Make Beauty is a very new company to me that I was introduced to through Birchbox.  They have just about everything from eyeshadows to contour kits. They also have a line for skincare as well. Alabaster Eyeshadow This shadow on the Make Beauty site is described as a soft eggshell with peach undertones. This shadow is a matte and can be used as a brow